Monday, March 02, 2009

Looks Like I'm Going To West Point!

That's the message I just received from a former student of mine. He got his letter of assurance today. I'm so very proud of him, and I know what he's in for.

This doesn't happen often, but I'm at a loss to explain the waves of emotion that sweep over me when I think about the full impact of his email. Maybe the words don't exist to explain it at all.

So I'll sit here and metaphorically let the wind and the lights and the sounds and the smells and the memories and the energy rush past me, and if I can touch any of it I'll try to share it with you.

He'll experience it all firsthand.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Darren. I might be in the same position soon. My nephew (actually second cousin but age-wise more a uncle/nephew relationship) is talking to me about West Point. He has begun the application process and from what I can see, he has a strong chance to make it. Since my three children elected to go different routes, I will live vicariously through him. ;^)

Darren said...

If I knew then what I know now, I'd probably run for the hills! What an amazing, scary journey he has in front of him :-)

DADvocate said...

Two kids from my son's high school are at West Point now. One is his cousin. It's a tough row to hoe as we say in the South. But, they both are happy they did it.