Sunday, March 29, 2009

How A Conservative Views The World

There's much to be commended in this article.

One popular song when I was young was from one of those one-hit-wonder bands who are all but forgotten except for one great tune. The band’s name was Ten Years After and the song was “I’d Love to Change the World.” One memorable line went like this:

Tax the rich, feed the poor
Till there are no rich no more

I can’t tell you how many hundreds of times I sang along to that song before it dawned on me: “Hey, that ain’t right! Shouldn’t it be: tax the rich, feed the poor, till there are no poor no more?”

I have no way of knowing whether or not Ten Years After advocated the abolition of wealth, or if the line was a tongue-in-cheek way of sniping at the simplicity of the argument that removing the wealthy made the poor better off. But what I did know then was that I finally understood the definition of covet. It was to want something so much that if I couldn’t have it, then I wanted to deny it to anyone else.

3 comments:

neko said...

Imagine there's no Liberals
It's easy if you try ^_^

maxutils said...

Keep in mind, the same song contains the lyric,

"Life is funny/Skies are sunny/ Bees make honey."

Deep.

Darren said...

All of those statements are undeniably true--from a certain point of view :)