Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Lots Of Work Required To Get This School Year Off And Running

This year I'm teaching three courses: pre-calculus (trigonometry with some math analysis), geometry, and Algebra 1.

This is the fifth year in a row that I've taught pre-calc using the same textbook, so I can recycle lesson plans from past years. I've taught Algebra 1 before, but since I'm using a new textbook I have to create all new lesson plans; at least I have experience in how long to spend on certain topics. I haven't taught Geometry before, so I'll be creating those lesson plans from scratch while relying on my fellow teachers to help me determine how long to spend on topics or the best way to approach any given topic.

That's a lot of new work, coming out of the gate.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

guess youll have homework to do

Anonymous said...

I've taught our upper-division geometry course for years now, and it's become one of my favorites. You'll have fun with it. Lots of logic and reasoning skills underneath all the stuff about triangles and congruence criteria and so on.

Mr. Lucchese said...

Good luck with all that. Sounds like you'll have your hands full.

Unknown said...

Three preps. That's a pain.

Ellen K said...

We got the whole lecture about changing policies for SpEd kids, which will send some kids out of Resource classes and into regular classes, without help of any kind. The goal, as sited by our administration, was to have NO Special Education kids at all. Isn't that just a tad unrealistic? Oh, and by the way, if these kids fail, it's the teachers' faults, not the kids. Let's go out there and have fun....not.

Ellen K said...

No-their hands are just tied by a state legislature that likes to make public policy about school children and education without knowing anything about either. Our administrators are frustrated.They know this will sink the school's rating. ALL of them have tried to find other positions. But Texas has the idea that if kids are struggling in math and science that they should have more of each and at higher levels. So now kids that struggle to pass Algebra II will be required to take Pre-Cal and Calculus. Explain?

Unknown said...

Is Westover at Rio anymore?

Darren said...

Yes.