Sunday, August 19, 2007

Blog Fest West

Yesterday afternoon Mr. Chanman and I started off towards San Francisco to attend Blog Fest West. Traffic was horrible from West Sacramento, through Davis, and beyond. We couldn't understand why so many people were heading to the Bay Area on a Saturday afternoon. Yes, the A's were playing at home, but that didn't explain this much traffic.

What we didn't realize was that the Battle of the Bay was going on!

At Vallejo we left I-80 and headed towards Napa and Marin, and came into the city from the north over the Golden Gate Bridge. San Francisco is a horrible, hateful, disgusting place, but oh is it beautiful to look at (from a distance).

The drive from Sacramento to San Francisco usually takes about 90 minutes, and we allotted 3 hrs. We pulled into Fort Mason Center a full 3 hours after we'd left.

There was certainly an interesting, eclectic assortment of folks gathered at Blog Fest West. I'd dare say we were quite the diverse crowd! I was very happy to see and talk to Joanne Jacobs again, and to meet and talk to some fairly big names from the center-right blogosphere--Ed Driscoll, Roger L. Simon, and Mickey Kaus. I was disappointed, though, not to meet Coach Brown, who was on the guest list but didn't show.

To top it all off, I won a door prize--a book. Someone else (I can't remember who) won Glenn Reynolds' (Instapundit) An Army of Davids and remarked to me that he'd already read it, so I initiated a trade.

All in all, what a great way to spend an evening!

(And Chanman, thank you again for driving. I'd have gone nuts in that traffic.)

3 comments:

W.R. Chandler said...

No problem! I love to drive; especially when it's a massive Honda SUV in the heart of the home of the Church of Global Warming.

Coach Brown said...

Coach Brown had a family issue to take care of.

Dammit. I was really interested to meet you, Buckhorn, and Joanne.

I'll save it for another day.

Darren said...

I hope everything's squared away now.

There's talk of another such event in December. Hope it happens!