Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Southern California Hasn't Been So Good To Me

The last time I flew to Southern California, SkyWest canceled my flight from LAX to Orange County because there weren't enough people on the plane. Instead, they put us on a bus. There's so much more to that story, and it doesn't get any better, but that story isn't the point here.

On Monday of this week I flew Aloha Airlines direct to Orange County/John Wayne Airport--yeah, that'll show 'em! I was supposed to fly back Tuesday night--but some driver ran into a pole in Palmdale and knocked out air traffic control for most of Southern California. There were no flights in or out of LAX, Burbank, John Wayne, San Diego, and probably others, for a couple hours. I wonder if al-Qaeda knew it was so easy to affect air travel without even getting on board the aircraft. Fortunately I was able to bunk over with some people the extra night, and my son and his mother ensured Boomer had food and water. I was able to fly back home this morning--and still get everything done for my son's birthday party this evening (not his real birthday, but that's life sometimes).

I'm thinking that the Fates don't want me in Southern California. I'm 0-2 there now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The airline put you on a bus??!! I hope they gave you a refund of the bulk of your fare and other perks as well. I never had any airline issues until we used a small carrier to go to Hawaii last year and had a 12 hour delay out of Oakland. Lost an entire day of my vacation. Why couldn't the delay have been on the other end? Stranded in Hawaii........

Anonymous said...

To many of those pesky left-wing-union-loving teachers down hear heard you were coming and decided to make your life miserable! :)

Darren said...

Anonymous, I complained to United (SkyWest is just a contract carrier for United) and they gave me a $100 voucher for all my troubles. I used that voucher to book a flight for my son but canceled it within 24 hrs--and they won't even give me the voucher back. And remember, I left out all the details of that experience, and they were myriad and infuriating.

And Eric, that's not even funny! :-)