Saturday, July 01, 2006

A New Class Enters West Point

Now that the Class of 2010 is getting settled into its summer training in Basic Cadet Training (or have they now changed the title to Cadet Basic Training), I thought it would be fun to share some statistics about this latest group of young people whom the left will decry as warmongers.

Class of 2010 stats (straight from the Superintendent's briefing slides for parents)
Admitted: 1315 (my class was larger, and we were only in a Cold War)
Combat vets: 25 men and 3 women
Average SAT score (out of 1600): 1283
6% African-American
8% Hispanic
14% Women
International cadets representing the following countries: Belize, Cameroon, Iraq, Latvia, Malaysia, Maldives, Nicaragua, Palau (didn't even know they had a military), Peru, Romania, Rwanda, and Thailand

I have no word on whether or not the Latin Americans are counted as part of the 8% listed as Hispanic.

Just for fun, I thought I'd mention the other countries represented at West Point in the Classes of 2007-2009: Afghanistan, Albania, Brunei, Bulgaria, Chad (after the Grenada invasion we used to joke about training options in Chad--seriously!), Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guyana, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Korea, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lithuania, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Tunisia

Those are amazing lists of countries. Yes, I know it's been 19 years, but when I was a cadet several of those countries weren't even independent countries, and a few others were behind the Iron Curtain. Others weren't very friendly to the US. If you need any proof that times change, this list can certainly provide some.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't I see a story about an Iraqi entering West Point? Or was that Annapolis?

Sorry, my brain isn't all here. I'm still kind of sick (and it all starts over again tomorrow).

Darren said...

Yes you did. Notice that Iraq is in boldface above.

I had another post about the Iraqi cadet at http://rightontheleftcoast.blogspot.com/2006/06/west-point-accepts-first-iraqi-cadet.html