What does it say about
that the killed and wounded soldiers in America and Iraq are more likely to hail from Afghanistan , Prattville, Alabama , Lincoln, Nebraska , or Mansfield, Ohio , than Klamath Falls, Oregon , New York City or Beverly Hills ? (cut to the stats--Darren) Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Of the Princeton University Class of 1956, more than half of the graduates went on to serve in the military (400 of 750); in 2004, that number was less than one percent (9 graduates). Sadly, among Ivy League schools,
Princetonis in the lead for ROTC participation.
- During the 1956 school year,
had 1,100 students enrolled in ROTC; today, there are only 29. Stanford University
- In 1969, seventy percent of the members of Congress were veterans; in 2004, only twenty-five percent were, with that representation falling rapidly.
- The percentage of members of Congress with children serving in the military is only slightly above one percent.
- While the old political clans of the Kennedys,
Rooseveltsand the Bushes have had many family members previously serving in combat, none of these privileged families (Democrat and Republican alike) has any relative in the military today.
Thursday, July 20, 2006
Indictment of Schools, of Society, or Both?
From FrontPage Magazine: