Neither sounds that great to me. In fact, they both sound scary as hell. But if this is the best the Republicans can do, then we've already lost the November election.
Here are some suggestions from li'l ol' me:
1. Talk up the war in Iraq. Focus on the good things that have been done. Use historical comparisons. Americans like a winner.
2. Small government. Right now we have way too much small government--so much so that it looks like big government. We need to cut government, not continue to expand it.
3. Blast socialism. Point out the economic problems in Europe.
4. Talk tough on illegal immigration, but for chrissakes do something about it! Point out the problems France has had with lack of assimilation.
5. Talk up the economy. It's doing extremely well by just about any metric. Of course, government doesn't have much to do with that, but we'd be taking the heat if it were lousy so we should take some glory when it's good--especially in an election year. It would be nice to get away from that foolishness, but the Dems won't let it go so we can't, either.
There, see? Not so hard to come up with real ideas, substantive ideas. These are far better than that crap in the article.