Thursday, February 16, 2006

Superintendent's Visit

I'm bummed.

Our district superintendent is coming to address our staff during our "collaboration time" this afternoon. He's new this year, and by all accounts is a "good guy" who has an open mind about the changes our district needs to make due to declining enrollment, changing demographics, etc.

Why am I bummed? Because I don't have a zinger question to throw at him.

Any suggestions?

Update, 2/16/06 4:31 pm: I came up with a good one while in the meeting. The superintendent discussed, among several other things, the fact that "modernization" money had been spent on fixing some things and improving curb appeal, but that we still had essentially 45-year-old classrooms. So I asked him this:

You've talked about maintenance, and how modernization money was sometimes spent on maintenance (like roofs). I've lived in this district for 9 years, and in that time have had to vote on 2 bond issues for the district because proper maintenance wasn't being done. How are you going to be a better steward of the public's money and maintain our facilities within budget?


I liked his answer, but the proof will be in the pudding. He certainly was as personable as I'd heard.

1 comment:

Kurt said...

Working together, we can achieve success for all. Talented teachers are our greatest asset.