Sunday, June 11, 2017

The Thin Veneer of Civilization

I've long said that civilization is only a quarter inch thick.  Take away the simplest modern conveniences, take us back to the 18th or 19th centuries, and most of us would probably become as brutish as our ancestors were.

Late last week there was a notice on my front door from my electricity utility--for about 9 hours tomorrow, my neighborhood will be without electricity.

My house is mostly electric.  Yes, I have a gas water water heater, but the controller on it is electric.  When the power goes out, I don't think my water heater will continue to heat gas.  Everything in my kitchen is electric--how am I to cook?  How long will the food in my frig and freezer last?

At least I'll still have running water.  And an outdoor barbecue, if I *really* need to cook something.  But internet?!  My DSL comes in over the phone line, but my router requires electricity.  I'll be without internet all day!

Should be a pretty boring day.  Perhaps I'll get some reading done.

3 comments:

Mrs. Widget said...

*nod* I'd use this as quiet and reading time.

reminds me I need to recharge all my devices...just in case.

Darren said...

The power was off for a full 9 hours. I made the most of it.

Did very little reading, but I *did* get new tires on my trailer.

KauaiMark said...

Free WIFI at the McDonald's