Friday, March 13, 2015

Got Home A Few Minutes Ago

I left home just before 7 this morning.  It's been a long day.

I've given a lot of assignments lately that take a long time grading, specifically project write-ups in statistics.  Yes, I have them write essays in which they're supposed to demonstrate their knowledge of the material.  Essays take awhile to grade, and throw in quizzes and tests, which also take awhile to grade, and I'm being kept quite busy at work lately.

7th Period, our name for Happy Hour, was sparcely attended today.  After socializing over a drink for awhile, the two of us remaining moved to the dining portion of the restaurant for an expensive but exquisite dinner.  Much chat over current events ensued, including the fact that the euro is now within a few cents of parity with the dollar!  When I went to Italy 3 summers ago there was about $1.30 to the euro and that was considered pretty good, so I'm looking forward to a good exchange rate when I get to Northern Europe this summer.

Chit chat went on much longer than we had planned--I had planned to go back to school and get some more grading done--but instead when we got back to school it was time for dance duty.  I'm of the belief that high school dances are anachronistic, but that's a post for another day.  We tolerated Gomorrah Burning until not too long before 11, at which time we were released.  I took my Kindle Fire so that I could listen to an audiobook on economic theory (it's very interesting) but we had so many teacher supervisors there that a few of us spent the night talking instead, all the while ensuring no Isis infiltrators snuck in through the back door.

It was a long day.  I'm looking forward to a restful weekend!

5 comments:

maxutils said...

May I ask which econ book? 'm curious as to how it could be one without graphs and such ….

Anonymous said...

"Gomorrah Burning"-boy did you hit that one right! I refused a few years ago to do any more dance chaperoning for that very reason!

Darren said...

The Big Three in Economics: Adam Smith, Karl Marx, and John Maynard Keynes.

maxutils said...

Not a bad spectrum … and easily doable without math. I'll be curious as to what you think of Marx and Keynes, but I won't poison the well. Smith, obviously was brilliant if a tad verbose.

maxutils said...

The real interesting stuff happens when Jevons and Marshall start applying math to Smith's theories, but no way it flies on an audio book.