Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Memes

It may sound weird, but the first day for our students is tomorrow.  I actually like the idea of kids' coming to school for only two days and then having a weekend, it's like dipping your foot into the pool before diving in.

I spend the first two days on introducing myself, my philosophy of teaching, and generally how I run things in class--letting the students know what they can expect.

In the past I've usually just talked.  It's not necessarily a bad thing, especially at the beginning of school when most actually seem to listen and take notes (I teach mostly high achieving students), but I thought that this year I'd make it a little more fun for all of us.  I saw on a colleague's Facebook page that someone suggested using internet memes when discussing classroom rules and the like, and upon reading that I took the ball and ran with it.  This is the site I used, and here are a couple I made:



I made about 2 dozen, covering all sorts of classroom-related topics.

6 comments:

KauaiMark said...

"...dipping your foot into the pool before diving in"

Actually in real life, I've found the opposite true.

Slow minutes of slow torture .vs. 2 sec of instant shock.

(my pool isn't heated)

Ellen K said...

So much fun! I can't wait to put these around the room.

Darren said...

I made 2 dozen!

maxutils said...

No offense, Darren, but at least two of the ones you posted are awful. Batman ... eh ...but even though it makes you a hoorible person, it also makes you fail. Dress code? All you see is her face. How do we know she isn't wearing a fully tailored suit? No one in the history of mankind has ever tried to make pizza rolls in class, and only slightly fewer eat them. #4, I'll give you ...

Darren said...

Max, I'm reminded of a comment you left on another recent post: If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

See how stupid that saying is?

maxutils said...

Point taken. Although, I'd like to think my points were more critical than mean-spirited. I also must admit a personal hatred of memes ... which colors my judgement. And, memes aren't people.