Monday, August 12, 2013

Generations

This picture shows 2 former math teachers, both of whom are 80 years old, and one current math teacher, who isn't quite 80 years old but hopes he looks as good at 80 as they do!

On the far left is my former high school counselor, who was receiving an award for his decades of service as a teacher and counselor.  He started teaching math in 1957 and still works at the independent learning high school.

In the center is my former high school principal.

When I started teaching--16 years ago!--they took me to breakfast one morning and gave me lots of advice.  One thing Mr. Nelson, the principal, told me was that I should give a quiz each week so students know where they stand in their understanding of the material.  So if you're a former student of mine and hated having quizzes each Friday, blame it on some excellent advice I was given by someone who knew what he was talking about.

1 comment:

Auntie Ann said...

I had a high school physics teacher with a rule: "Thursday is quiz day." He meant that he might not necessarily give a quiz every Thursday, but we should be prepared to take one every Thursday.

I thought it was a great strategy. It meant we had to keep up with the material and not wait until exam time to cram.