Thursday, April 04, 2013

Grading At Home

I try never to bring work home with me. I might stay an hour after school and grade tests, but that's far preferable to bringing the tests home with me. In addition to keeping home and work separate, it forces me to focus on doing the work so I can go home. I've always thought it odd that English teachers take essays home to read them.

Now I understand. I'm reading project write-ups from my statistics students. I don't need to follow detailed calculations, I need to read and comment.  Such work is very amenable to being done on the couch with a cup of cardamom tea, much more so than grading math tests is.

3 comments:

Mary J said...

Grading essays requires soo much more abstract analysis than other subjects. And no one wants to be stuck at work till midnight. Which is why my every weekend was consumed by reading essays and papers. Which is also why I switched from teaching English to teaching Spanish. Talk about a cake walk. And I'm not beholden to the lovely standardized testing. Kudos to you for keeping work at work. English teachers should totally get paid more if we're compensating for time. Of course, if we're compensating for IQ...

maxutils said...

It would be better to pay them the same, but cap their classes at 24.

PeggyU said...

Grading essays is time consuming. The chairs at home are more comfy, and there are beverages of your choice in the fridge. Much nicer at home, I would think. :)