Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Making the Commitment

Today, after a couple years of "thinking about it" and a couple weeks of trying to get my district to approve it, I finally got my district to approve my participation in the University of Idaho's Engineering Outreach Program. Through this program I'll earn a Master of Arts in Teaching Mathematics after taking 8 math courses and 2 education courses via distance learning (which is someone different than an "online program"). I plan to start next September and finish in 2-2 1/2 years.

Until then I'll never see another pay raise since I'm "topped out" for my education level. I considered doing a 10-month program at a so-called diploma mill and getting a "Masters in Education with an emphasis on Curriculum and Instruction", but I view that as mere jumping through hoops. I'd rather spend 2 1/2 years and get a degree that's personally rewarding and fulfilling rather than just rushing through a program to get something, anything, just to get a pay raise.

The die is cast. The Rubicon will be crossed next fall. Watch out, Rome, here I come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At the end, if you have the choice of a thesis or comprehensive exams, go with the thesis.

When you take comps, you begin to forget the moment the exam is over. I got a B on my topology comp (should have been an A), but my topology notes from sixteen years ago read like Russian or Chinese to me now (neither of which I can read).

PeggyU said...

Kewl. :)