Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I Like This Charter School

I've often thought that if I were to start my own charter or private school, it would be called All-American High; the school colors would be red, white, and blue, and the mascot would be the Eagles (maybe the Eager Eagles).

Someone has created the feeder school for my high school:
Dead presidents grace the walls of Roseville's first charter school. Its school colors are red, white and blue.

Instead of textbooks, its students will read the primary writings of the Founding Fathers, along with such classics as Homer's "Iliad" and "Odyssey."

John Adams Academy is only a month old and already the students are talking about "restoring America's heritage" and becoming "servant leaders."

As conservatives and liberals across the country tussle over the proper role of government, the Constitution – and its interpretation – has become a hot topic. So perhaps it's only natural that the Sacramento region now has a school whose curriculum is centered on America's Founding Fathers.

Roseville is just up the road from me. I could get to this school in perhaps 10 minutes.

6 comments:

Pomoprophet said...

Eh... I looked into this school. I think they're the ones that aren't a part of CALSTRS. Although that could be another new red/white/blue charter school in placer county somewhere...

KauaiMark said...

When you retire, maybe you could sub there!

Darren said...

The way STRS is going, I may need to!

Jean said...

Are they doing a neo-classical model with a bunch of patriotism thrown in? What's their philosophy? I get kind of suspicious about educational models that sell themselves through patriotism, so I'd want to look at it very carefully. There is a philosophy called Thomas Jefferson Education, for example, that I have huge problems with. I hope they're not using that.

Ellen K said...

The way this nations' going none of us are retiring any time soon, if ever.

mmazenko said...

And, Ellen, who says we are entitled to anyway?