Thursday, February 10, 2011

Busted For Blogging

I don't know exactly where the line is, but the teacher in this story came a lot closer to it than I ever do:

Since it hit the Associated Press wires, the story has spread to more than 200 publications. Natalie Munroe, an English teacher at Central Bucks High School, was suspended and faces dismissal for what she wrote about her students and school on her personal blog “Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?”

As I put in my comment on the above-linked post, Ms. Munroe was definitely indiscreet. I certainly wouldn't write the things quoted--at least, not very often at all, and certainly not about identifiable students. She's certainly gotten closer to the line than I would ever go, but did she cross that line? I guess we'll find out.

4 comments:

KauaiMark said...

Makes me wonder where the line is and if I've stepped on or over it in any of the last six years.

Unknown said...

Ever read Hobo Teacher? Of course, over there the poster remains anonymous, but the posts are based on real-life situations, and are less-than-flattering to teachers, students, and administrators alike. Funny stuff.

Mr. W said...

Funny, it was this last story that made me pretty much stop all posts about my classroom.

I know you have the whole 1st Amendment argument, but apparently that doesn't count for teachers.

I had this discussion with a counselor and he told me that when a teacher does talks about his/her students, it creates a hostile environment and it hinders the students' ability to learn. But when a student does it, it doesn't affect anything...

Curmudgeon said...

How hard is it to have an anonymous blog? Not very. Blogs are free. All you need is to have one that's public and another that is anonymous. I do.

How hard is it to not directly and identifiably criticize students? Again, this was just stupid. "long, profanity-peppered rants about Central Bucks administrators, her co-workers and her students" - Geez, anyone having trouble figuring out what's wrong with this?

"I'm being a renegade right now, living on the edge and, um, blogging AT work. However, as I'm blogging about work stuff, I give myself a free pass of conscience. "

Forget this fool.