Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Changing the Battle Plan

A personal surge?

I've plateaued in my weight loss--in fact, over the holiday season my weight has crept up a few pounds. Yes, I know this is normal, but it's not acceptable. I need to change my battle plan.

I went to Costco for the first time in years yesterday, and there they sell gym memberships--including to the gym just a couple hundred meters from my house. Yes, it's a two-year membership paid in full up-front, but the amortized monthly cost comes out to slightly more than the amortized cost of one yoga class. In fact, the two-year membership is only slightly more than I paid for a block of 26 individual yoga classes.

Last night online I checked out the classes they offer, since I despise just going and lifting weights and need the structure that a class provides, and found several in which I can participate. This might be just what I need to jumpstart things, and the price is right.

I can always go back to the yoga if I need or want to....

Update: It is done. I'm now a 24 Hour Fitness member for the next 2 years.

4 comments:

Pomoprophet said...

Ah yes, I know the membership you're talking about. Its a VERY good deal. When I joined, I bought a 3 year membership which came with X amount of personal training sessions and lots of nasty health food. And now, for the rest of my life, I only pay $50 a year to renew. Its well worth it because I go on a regular basis.

Anyways, the chain generally offers yoga and sometimes pilates. If you want a good cardio burn the cycling class really works up a sweat but is difficult. I prefer the Turbo Kick Boxing class. Its fun music, high energy, and burns the calories. I also go to the Zumba classes which is latin dance based but i'm generally the only male in them so it depends on how much you like to shake your hips and how comfortable in your manhood you are. Good luck! Let me know if you need a work out partner.

gbradley said...

Didn't you say that you were going skiing?
That burns a lot of calories, but then again, it also burns a lot of dead presidents.

Darren said...

I went skiing last week (scroll down to see the post w/video) but the weather was a bit unstable today. I'd go tomorrow but feel compelled to watch the Armed Forces Bowl, even given Army's recent performance. Maybe Friday, as I'm not much of a New Year's Eve person anyway.

Darren said...

And pomo, I don't think Zumba is for me. Oh, I can shake the hips all right, but I have no rhythm whatsoever. Dancing has never been a strong point of mine. I'm looking at many of the other classes they offer--wish they did wataerobics after work, though, as I always used to enjoy that.