Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Are They Serious, Or Is This A Really Bad Joke?

Blogging will be light again for the next few days, as my son and I are off to American Mecca (aka Las Vegas). I have a friend whose dad was in the atomic bomb tests in the 1950s and has donated items to the Atomic Testing Museum not far off-Strip, and I've long been interested in going to check it out.

Imagine my surprise at seeing the following:
click on picture to enlarge--seriously, do it

Am I missing something, or is that in very poor taste? Family Fun Day? Regarding Japan? At an atomic bomb museum? On the weekend between the anniversaries of the bombings of Hiroshima (August 6th) and Nagasaki (August 9th)?

Don't get me wrong, I completely support the nukings. This "family fun day" just seems a little, I don't know, insensitive or inappropriate or something. I guess it's funny in a dark humor sort of way. I certainly wouldn't be impressed, though, with a "family fun day" celebrating Hawaii, being held on a Japanese aircraft carrier, in early December.

4 comments:

Michelle - The Bolder Tutor said...

Don't you think you are being just a little over sensitive? After all, Muslim Family Day at Six Flags is on September 10th in the north east and September 12 in the midwest.

Seriously, I think they are adding kool-aid to our drinking water now. There is very little common courtesy in our society any more.

Steve USMA '85 said...

Be very hard to hold a family fun day celebrating Hawaii on a Japanese aircraft carrier. Unless of course all visitors were issued SCUBA gear.

(For those who don't realize, we sank 20 of the 23 Japanese aircraft carriers during WWII, the remaining three being scraped shortly after the war)

Mike Thiac said...

Insensitive….like putting a massive mosque at Ground Zero…

No Darren, you’re steel on target as usual. But remember we were the racist oppressors who unjustifiably used atomic bomb on innocent people. I mean, that’s what museum pukes and historians tell us right….and that crap about “a million allied casualties” and Japanese atrocities in the East is of course ancient propaganda.

I have a suggestion…tell the tax payer funded idiots who run this place to put this up in Korea or China…they have long memories out there.

Darren said...

I didn't say it had to be a WWII Japanese carrier!