Thursday, June 05, 2008

Generals, Admirals, and Field Marshalls, Oh My!

I just got home from our school's graduation ceremony, held downtown in Sacramento's Memorial Auditorium --a beautiful building that wouldn't be built in Sacramento today, because it's dedicated to those who died in the first war to end all wars, but I digress.

"Uniform" for the graduates included the appropriate cap, gown, and tassle. But wait, there's more.

Yearbook students got to wear a cord.
Newspaper students got to wear a cord.
Band students got to wear a medal hanging on a ribbon. The more band classes, the more medals and ribbons.
AVID students wore a white stole.
Honor students wore a gold stole.
Other students wore various pins, clips, and appurtenances.

Some had so much stuff on that you could hardly see the color of their gown!

Notwithstanding that we already have a Senior Awards Night at which we could present all this "stuff", all I could think of was how much some of them looked like the Joint Chiefs of Staff--or even perhaps a tinpot dicator.

5 comments:

Law and Order Teacher said...

I don't know if the first post got through, if so, sorry for the double post. My wife's family lives in Sacramento and related suburbs. We will be visiting in July. I have seen the building you talked about here. It is a shame that lefties cannot separate the war from the warriors.

Darren said...

If you have time available, my contact information is available in my profile.

Law and Order Teacher said...

I'd love to meet you, but I am having trouble with the link on contact information.

Darren said...

Clicking the link only works for Yahoo messenger, but now that you know that, the email address should be immediately discernible. I do it this way to avoid spambots.

Ellen K said...

We went to my daughter's college graduation a couple of weeks back. Between the numerous stoles, cords, pendants and whirlygigs, it was hard to see them as anything close to a uniform group. And my daughter, the dance major, managed to somehow spray glitter on her hat. A solemn ceremony indeed. (Hey she graduated magna cum laude so I will cut her some slack.)