Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Capitol and Supreme Court

Tomorrow I have scheduled, through my congressman's office, tours of the Capitol and the Supreme Court. I'll try to get pictures posted muy pronto!

Update: Sadly, someone believes that taking pictures in the House chamber and in the Supreme Court courtroom will violate "security", so we weren't allowed to. I'll say this, though: both rooms were significantly smaller than I'd envisioned. The House Chamber looks so expansive when it's packed to the gills during the State of the Union Address, but in actuality I'll bet it's smaller than the gym at the school at which I teach. And the Supreme Court courtroom was similarly unimpressive--at least as size goes.

I'll work on getting pictures uploaded.

The internet connection in my hotel room sucks so I type this from the lobby--where an extremely strong rain is beating loudly against the floor-to-ceiling glass windows. I haven't seen water fall from the sky in several weeks, and it's been a few months since I've seen any fall this heavily. Perhaps it'll help reduce the stifling heat.

Update #2, 6/17/08: I'm taking much more video than I am still pictures, and learning in the process that those two actions require very different skill sets! Having said that, I'm finding that the hotel's internet connection is not amenable to posting pictures. At all. So while I'd like to post a couple, I guess you'll have to wait until I get home and have a reliable connection.

3 comments:

KauaiMark said...

Just don't ask this guy directions how to get there:
http://kauaimark.blogspot.com/2008/06/answer-question.html

Pomoprophet said...

I just got back from Chicago for vacation. One thing I visited that I think you would really like if you ever get there is the Freedom Museum. Its all about the first amendment and deals with some good issues.

http://www.freedommuseum.us/

Anonymous said...

No pictures, but what about video cameras and still-life paintings!!!