Sunday, January 27, 2008

They Did NOT Write That

It's a good thing I'm not politically correct, or I'd be aghast at the cultural insensitivity of Time Magazine. See the original headline here, and Time's current headline here. It's different already, and I can't say I'm surprised.

I'd like to believe someone was just being funny and that Instapundit got snookered by a photoshopped picture, but I doubt that's the case. In fact, I'm going to email and ask him if he saw that on Time's web site or if someone mailed it to him. I find it hard to believe that left-leaning Time would write something so incredibly non-PC--unless, of course, they're helping the Clintons with their race-baiting tactics.

In case something changes, here are the two headlines:
Obama's Rout Rejiggers The Race (shown on Instapundit)
Obama's Rout Reshapes The Race (current on Time's site)

Update: Glenn Reynolds responded to my email, "No, I saved that screenshot myself."

Yahoo hasn't changed it yet, so here's the screenshot I just took.

click to enlarge

So what does this teach us about liberals, boys and girls? Answer: Nothing we didn't already know.

5 comments:

Fritz J. said...

Darren, if you click on the link, "via Grand Old Partisan," you could have read the site where Instapundit got his picture. Also, Googling the phrase, "Obama's Rout Rejiggers the Race," produces enough results to suggest that Time indeed used the phrase. It appears to me that Time changed it after using it for a short period of time.

Dr Pezz said...

I admit I'm a new reader to your blog so you may have answered his already, but I'm curious why there are so many blanket statements about people, especially the use of "liberals"? Just seems dismissive.

Darren said...

It's how I think about them.

Ellen K said...

On one hand, I have heard more racial epithets from those I work with who claim to be liberals than the few conservative in my building. On the other hand, having worked with writers who write headlines, they love puns-so much so that they go out of their way to create havoc with them. I am sure someone will lose a job over this-maybe not now but soon and for the rest of their lives.

Darren said...

EllenK, I loved the witty headline when Ike Turner died:
Ike Beats Tina To Death

Oh, that's bad! True headline, though. New York newspaper?