Monday, January 14, 2008

Oh. My. Gawd.

Why do I believe in the 2nd Amendment?

The Founders were very clear that the right to keep and bear arms was a necessary protection against an overarching government. We can argue whether or not that argument is as valid today as it was then, given modern weaponry, but it's hard to deny that it's more difficult for a government to oppress armed citizens than unarmed citizens.

But that's a "big picture" argument. Let's go down to one person--a woman, making a 911 call, while a stalker is breaking into her house. Listen to the call.

Then tell me you'd have deprived her of her right to own a firearm.

It doesn't matter how close the police were as the man choked her--they couldn't protect her. The police weren't there. The only person she could count on was herself, and the only equalizer between her and a crazed stalker was a firearm.

Listen to the call.

5 comments:

Eric W. said...

The second amendment is one of the many things I've changed my mind on recently, and most of those changes are from reading this blog.

Darren said...

That's very rewarding to hear. I'm glad I could be a small part of that.

Darren said...

BTW, reading blogs caused me to change my opinion of the 2nd Amendment, too.

Anonymous said...

An amusing aside. Last night, on "Family Guy," one of the frequent breakaways cut to the framers finishing up the Bill of Rights, and Madison says to Jefferson, "Do you think we should clear up the second amendment before we send this to the printer?" Jefferson responds, "Of course not. Every American has the right to bear arms -- what could be more clear?", as he gestures to a pair of stuffed, mounted, grizzly bear arms above the fire place.

I chuckled.

Dan

Anonymous said...

if you somebody would be breaking into my house, i would definately have a fire arm.
especially if it were a stalker