Monday, January 14, 2008

Biggest Disconnect Between A Song And Its Video

Walter Egan was a late 70's/early 80's singer. He only had two "hits" (if you want to call them that) that I know of, Magnet And Steel and Fool Moon Fire.

Fool Moon Fire came out when I was a high school senior. I loved the guitar work in it, loved the tune. I still think it's a beautiful song.

But the video sucks. I don't mean a little bit, I mean it sucks so bad it creates Hurricane Katrina-like low pressure.

Anyone want to nominate any other songs in the Huge Disparity Between Song Quality And Video Quality category?

7 comments:

Dempsey Darrow said...

Ah, Darren..."Magnet and Steel" was one of my favorite songs back at Fort Benning. I had just finished a stint as a Blackhat in the Airborne Department (Steel) and was chasing after one of the dancers in the I-Bar (Magnet). Downloaded the song to my iPod just the other day...:-). The memories...

Anonymous said...

Jimmy Buffett "Livin' it up" from 1982. The video was hideous, despite the best efforts of Jimmy and Broadway Joe Namath.

W.R. Chandler said...

"I'm So Happy, I Can't Stop Crying" by Sting.

It is a song about divorce that can bring tears to my eyes when I listen to it, but the video had Sting wearing a pompadour haircut while riding a horse, and featured line-dancing aliens. I frickin' hate the video, but I love the song.

Darren said...

Dempsey, if you couldn't score a woman at the I-Bar... :-)

Dempsey Darrow said...

Darren: "Dempsey, if you couldn't score a woman at the I-Bar... :-)"

Darren, there were two girls in a smoke filled bar packed nightly with testosterone charged warriors. There were no other women within a 155's bursting radius of the AO. For what it's worth, one of the dancers became my domestic partner (a term not yet coined back then) for a while.

Darren said...

Fine. Take the air out of my humorous balloon with your silly facts.

Odd, though--I don't recall ever hearing "domestic partner" used when referring to someone of the opposite sex. :-)

Anonymous said...

Here's a few:
The Tubes - She's a Beauty
Yes - Owner of a Lonely Heart
Scorpions - Rock You Like a Hurricane