Saturday, September 23, 2006

Oops! Handout With X-Rated Fonts Given To Parents

I can't help but laugh when I read this:

X-Rated Font Used on Third-Grade Handout

The Associated Press

School officials apologized after an X-rated font was used on a third-grade spelling packet handed out to parents. The font showed male and female stick figures in provocative poses to form the letters of the alphabet.


Officials with the Monroe-Woodbury School District in Orange County apologized last week after parents at Pine Tree Elementary School were given the spelling packet at an open house.


Administrators said the teacher did not use the font intentionally.


Monroe is about 45 miles northwest of New York City.


Come on--that is pretty funny!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you actually see the font, you can understand how it may have initially been too subtle to notice. It looks like stick figures -- until you consider the actual poses.

But then again, who looks at stick figures to find sexual poses?

Darren said...

I've got to find me this font!

Sounds somewhat similar to a shirt my mother bought me when I was in high school. It looked like a checkerboard, but if you looked closely, you could see that each dark square was really the words "fuck you".

Yes, my mother bought me that shirt. And yes, I wore it to school several times. I don't think any of my teachers had eyesight good enough to tell what it really was.

Anonymous said...

Ok, so ya the teacher didn't use it intentionally. But, why the hell did he have it, and why the hell was his computer set to use THAT font on default?

Brook Stevens said...

I dont believe it was an intentional default font since he was probably just using creative teaching techniques before realizing what he really did.

Ellen K said...

This poses a question I have asked many times, who is approving this stuff? At some point you have to seek approval for things sent home? Was the teacher a total dim bulb? This isn't that far removed from the drill team director my daughter had to was supposed to be an English major but sent home notes with misspelled words, incomplete sentences and rambling monologues. It was scary. She is still teaching there. Thank God it's not English.

Anonymous said...

It wasn't the default font -- it was one that was chosen for the cover page of a longer packet.

Why that font? Probably because, if you don't realize it is stick figures having sex, it looks like cute letters made out of stick figures -- a perfectly apprpriate display font to use to spice up a otherwise boring document in Arial or Times New Roman.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mr.Miller did your mom know the shirt said FU on it or was she oblivious too?

Darren said...

She knew. She thought it was funny. Probably also thought it was funny that I could wear it to school and get away with it.