Sunday, June 25, 2006

Whatever Happened To...The Survivors of Columbine?

Here's the story of one of them, currently serving in Iraq.

(Lance Corporal) Feiler was a freshman at Columbine High School during the infamous 1999 shooting, in which two students killed 12 others and one teacher before turning their weapons on themselves. He joined the Marine Corps to build up his experience for a career in law enforcement.


“I wanted to help people and maybe pave the way for a career in SWAT to help people out of situations like (Columbine),” Feiler said.


Obviously a warmongering automaton, no?

I like this quote:

He recalled sitting in his math class when the shooting started.


I'll bet he'll never forget that math class!!!

The article ends thusly:

After the Marine Corps, he plans to join the Aurora Police Department in Denver to begin his law enforcement career and live closer to home.


“I really miss Colorado. I didn’t realize how cool it was until I left,” he said. “I want to get back into the mountains and do some snowboarding.”


I really miss Colorado, too. That's partly why I'm taking my son there for our big vacation this summer.

3 comments:

Darren said...

Unfortunately I'm on a fairly tight schedule for this trip. However, next year a friend and I are planning to attend the function discussed in this post: http://rightontheleftcoast.blogspot.com/2006/06/i-do-miss-colorado.html

Might be able to plan a detour then!

Anonymous said...

Whatever happened to some of the more notorious bullies who inspired the whole thing? Are they brave enough to join the Marines as well or are they still out beating up weaklings in the name of manliness?

I refer specifically to the five young men who stabbed a 22-year-old man in the parking lot of an apartment complex, then ransacked his home while he was in the hospital recovering. Real American heroes.

Darren said...

I'm not sure I follow you. People who "inspired" the whole thing? There have been bullies forever, but Columbine was the first time kids had ever shot up a school like that. I prefer to keep the responsibility for that where it truly lies, with those two (thankfully) dead students.

As for wanting bullies in the Marine Corps, I'm not sure that's the type of person *I'd* want as a Marine.

And I don't know the story you've referred to above.