Sunday, June 04, 2006

How I Spent My Saturday

Yesterday I made a 2-hour trek to the Island Paradise of Alameda, located just south and west of sunny Oakland, CA, which is just across the Bay Bridge from San Francisco. You can find it on the map here.

Naval Air Station Alameda used to be at the western end of the island, and back in the day it wasn't uncommon for aircraft carriers to be parked there. Anyone remember Mr. Chekov in Star Trek IV: "Can you tell me where is Ah-lah-mee-dah? I am looking for nuclear wessels." That scene kills me.

Anyway, I went to the Island Paradise to visit a former boss of mine. He and his wife now live on a 50+ foot boat in one of the many marinas in Alameda. While there he took me out in what I termed "The Captain's Launch", a small boat you might use to get from your anchored boat to the shore--if it weren't berthed in a marina, of course! Here are the pictures I took while we zipped around the estuary that runs along the north and east sides of the island.



His boat is the large white one at the end of the dock, above.


The pictures above and below show the Potomac, Franklin Roosevelt's Presidential Yacht.





These two pictures show some charter boats.





These two pictures show some of the unique houseboats along the estuary.




There's a Coast Guard base on a tiny island in the estuary, and here's one of the vessels that was docked there. Note the size of the gun towards the bow.


All in all, a great time and an enjoyable visit.