Thursday, May 30, 2019

I Understand This Woman Completely, Even Though I Feel The Same Way For Reasons That Differ From Hers Only In Specifics

She's quitting teaching.  Here's why:
My school has little to no support from the district administration. Many people who make the decisions about my school have never stepped foot on our campus or been with our students for even a day...

Just to survive teaching at my school, I’ve had to become someone I don’t like. I have become short-tempered, authoritative, controlling and hardened, and it is been spilling over into my personal life. I don’t like the person I am becoming and it is affecting my mental and physical health.
The Instapundit, a daily read for me, periodically posts stories of teachers or school administrators behaving badly and taglines them with something akin to "I’m beginning to think that sending your kids to public schools is a species of child abuse."  I get his point, especially given the quantity of bad teacher/administrator stories out there, the type of which I also post.  But I don't think he understands how rotten the system as a whole is, and how it's parents (often with threats of lawsuits)--who convince administrators to give in to what in any other field would be considered asininity--who make the system rotten.

I understand Ms. Goolsby's feelings.  I share them.

No comments: