Friday, November 30, 2018

A Substitute Who Teaches

Maybe it's different where you are, but where I am, if a math teacher is out for a day, the kids lose a day of instruction.  There isn't this pool of people able to teach math who are dying to work for the $135 a day my district pays substitutes, so if a math teacher isn't there, teaching doesn't take place.

I should go out and buy a lottery ticket.  There's a "kid" (he's so young!) who subs in our district and is currently working on a master's degree in math.  Eventually he wants to get a doctorate.

I've missed 3 school days this week, something I haven't done in (literally) years.  I was able to get this math whiz as a substitute all three days.  I gave him my lecture notes and off he went.  My students told me he can teach, and their quiz results yesterday indicate that they learned something Monday and Tuesday.

I can't ask for much more than that, and neither can my students.


3 comments:

Ellen K said...

It's very hard to find qualified subs, especially for higher science and math. You're lucky to have him It's gotten to the point where I avoid absences even when I am sick because the kids lose so much.

Unknown said...

In my subject (History), being out a day is basically worksheet/video day. I have had some great subs, but many of the other ones have no control over the kids. The good ones are snapped up quickly.
Many times I would rather just go into work because setting up for a sub and dealing with the aftermath is just not worth it.

not an NPC said...

Nice! I hate having subs as well but I love the good ones! I hope that "kid" becomes an educator some day. The world of education needs them!