Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Tulum and Coba

The two other times I've visited Cancun, the most recent being 8 years ago or so, I've visited the Mayan ruins at Chichen Itza.  Sadly, visitors there are not allowed to ascend the Pyramid of Kukulcan.  I thought I'd try some different ruins this time, and imagine my elation when I found out that visitors are still allowed to climb the big pyramid at Coba!

But first, Tulum, the famous Mayan-city-by-the-ocean, which I haven't visited since a cruise ship stop in Cozumel in 1989:


And of course, it wouldn't be the Yucatan without what I call the unofficial mascot of the land:

After Tulum it was on to Coba.  Coba is a huge city and so little of it has been excavated.  Still, it has the highest temple in the Yucatan (or so we were told) and we were able to climb it:


Just to give the faintest idea of how much more there is to uncover, zoom in on the 2nd picture immediately above and see the building sticking up out of the jungle.... Yes,  the site is so big that the best way to get around in Coba is on a rented bike.

We also stopped for lunch, stopped at a cenote (I didn't swim this time), and for a little shopping in Playa del Carmen.  The bus picked me up at 7am and dropped me off back at my hotel a few minutes before 9pm.  Very long day, and tomorrow I have to fly home.

Great trip :)

1 comment:

David said...

Been to both before.
Much prefer those than chichen itza because you can climb to the top