Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Being A Teacher Is Getting Worse

Schools are a microcosm of the communities from which they draw their students.  Sadly, that's why we have this list of "10 things teachers did not have to deal with 10 years ago".  Here are the items:
  • The inability to punish students.  The author is as much a fan of so-called restorative justice as I am.
  • Cell phone addiction.
  • Online bullying.  Honestly, unless something happens at school, this is an area where I think schools should but out or, at the most, notify parents and let them take care of the out-of-school issue.
  • Pep rallies for standardized testing.
  • Constant student anxiety.  I've written before how ADD used to be the "gold standard" for getting special accommodations in school, now anxiety is.  
  • Fear of school shootings and lock-downs.  You're much more likely to get killed when you get in a car than you are at school--but the author seems resigned to the idea that this fear is justified anyway.
  • Heroin and opioid epidemics.
  • Politicized schools.
  • Era of "feelings" where students are never wrong--because they "feel" their grade is unfair, it is.  By definition.
  • Naked utilitarianism in education--schooling exists solely to prepare students for jobs or, in the case of many schools, college.  Anything besides going to college is failure.

2 comments:

Ellen K said...

These are all true.
The politicizing of education is the worst. There are no safe opinions.
The removal of vocational tracks ignores that not all kids want or can handle college. I paid my mechanic more than I paid my doctor last year, yet all, and I do mean ALL, my students want to be doctors. My doctor doesn't even want to be a doctor anymore the way it is now.

PhillipMarlowe said...

"Pep rallies for standardized testing."
Those were going on in Maryland schools 20, 25 years ago when Maryland started the MSPAP testing used to "grade" schools.