Wednesday, November 09, 2016

Last Night and This Morning

I went to bed last night not knowing who won the election.  Knowing I wouldn't be entirely happy no matter what the outcome, I thought it best to get to sleep on time so I could get up at 5 and get on my elliptical trainer (for the 3rd day in a row).

I woke up at 3 this morning.  I actually felt a slight headache, and I knew it was because I wanted to know the election results.  I fired up the phone and checked the few apps I had open and waiting from the night before.  My plan was to look and then go back to sleep.

I'll admit it, I didn't think Trump would win.  When I saw that he had, a wave of relief washed over me.  It's not that I'm happy that he won, I'm happy that Clinton lost.  Far more important, though, is that the Republicans retained control of the Congress, albeit weakly.

There's no way I'm going back to sleep.  I finally gave up on that and now sit at my computer with a cup of Earl Grey Creme tea.

For those of you who were not on the winning side last night, let me share some thoughts with you as someone who's been around this block a few times.
  • Yes, the Republicans will run the White House as well as both houses of Congress--but they won't have the supermajorities that the Democrats had from 2009-2011.
  • Now will you please reconsider wanting to consolidate power in Washington, DC?
  • Now will you please reconsider wanting a president who bypasses the will of Congress and attempts to rule by executive order?
  • Now will you please reconsider mocking and hating your countrymen, hence bringing about the very president-elect you decry?
And to our good friends in the press--well, at least those of you whose heads haven't exploded yet--will you please  perform the watchdog role the Founders assumed you would?  With a white male Republican as president, I'm sure you will, but it would be nice if you did it all the time.

Those are my initial thoughts on this, the Day After.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I couldn't stomach voting for either candidate and was therefore rather glad to live in California so I could write in a candidate and not worry about feeling guilty for "throwing my vote away".
Side note: The fact that you like (and mentioned) drinking Earl Grey Creme made my day! I love Earl Grey Creme. You should try Paris by Harney & Sons.