Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Went to the DMV Today

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

I've written about the Department of Motor Vehicles before, at least here and here.  In the latter link I discussed my recent scheduling of today's DMV appointment.

The only time I could schedule an appointment that (probably) wouldn't conflict with work was today at 9:30--I had a 2-hr prep period (none yesterday) that ended at 10:00 but that was the best I could do.  I left school at 9:10 and arrived shortly before 9:30.

The line stretched out of the building and down through the parking lot.  Not at all remembering my experience outlined in the first link above, I went to the front of the line and sure enough, there was a very short line for those of us with appointments.  Walk-ins at this particular office are a nightmare.

I got to a window, checked in for my appointment, and was given a number--now I had to wait like everyone else.  However, my number was called before 9:35, so that wasn't bad at all.  The woman at the window I was sent to ignored me for about a minute and then graciously acknowledged my presence.

I had to renew my driver's license and get a new picture because my last picture was 15 years old; I figured while I was there I might as well renew my motorcycle registration, which I received a few days ago.  The lady took my registration paperwork and asked for a check for several dozen dollars.  I asked, "How much for the license renewal?  I can write just one check."  Her reply:  "It's got to be two checks--two different systems."  Of course there are.  I wrote a check and she handed me a new registration and license plate sticker.  Then she directed me to another window.

The lady at that window was waiting for me.  She gave me an eye test which I barely passed; I wear only one contact lens for "monovision", so my left eye is uncorrected.  Wearing one lens gives me 20/20 vision and depth perception, and allows me to see up close and at a distance without putting on reading glasses or the like.  I didn't realize that I needed at least 20/100 in both eyes individually in order to pass!  After spending a few moments focusing and such I was able to succeed.  If I remember in the future, I need to take my glasses with me to such appointments and not wear my contact!

Then I was sent to the line to get my new picture.  Got it, was given a temporary license, was told I'd receive my actual license in 5-7 working days, and off I went.

I got back to school at 10:00.  My class started at 10:05.  The teacher who had planned to cover for me in case I was late was just opening my classroom door.  All told I had been gone for 50 minutes.

Not bad.

No comments: