Sunday, August 16, 2015

As Long As It's A History Class

My guess is it will become an "advocacy" class, with the goal of turning students into social justice warriors.  But that's just my guess:
This fall, San Francisco’s Ruth Asawa School of the Arts will be offering one of the country’s first high school history courses dedicated to the LGBT movement.

“LGBT Studies” will “look at the legalization of same-sex marriage, the U.S. military’s ‘don’t ask don’t tell’ policy and the history of major events such as the Stonewall Riot.”
Will this be a high school version of an "aggrieved victim studies" major at universities?
The course will be coupled with another class on ethnic studies, which will explore minority groups in the Unites States, such as African Americans, Chinese Americans, Japanese Americans and Native Americans, Schlax said.
I hope these courses are in addition to more standard history courses, and not in place of.  Then again, it serves the interests of certain people to continue to divide us.  Will this course teach hatred and resentment like the classes in Tucson did?  I guess we'll find out.

2 comments:

maxutils said...

I'm hard pressed to believe it could be anything other than a semester elective … Certainly, the school will not be trying to pass that off to universities as an A-F requirement. And … interpretive history, done as an add-on? I found it to be one of the only History classes I ever liked, and by focusing in drpth on fewer isues … I think I also learned more.

Anonymous said...

It is a University of California elective ("G") course.

http://www.sfsota.org/electives/

-Mark Roulo