Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Trip Trivia

The answer to yesterday's question is:  true.  Americans used the air base at Keflavik throughout the Cold War.

Personal side note about Keflavik:  I got out of the army in September 1990 and didn't find a job until March 1991.  You might imagine that was a difficult time for me, and you'd imagine correctly.  Anyway,  not more than a couple of weeks after finally getting a job, I got a call from the army's personnel center in St. Louis.  They told me they needed an officer to go to Iceland for 6 months, and (for some reason I cannot fathom) my name was at the top of the list. 

Had I not just landed a job I'd have been on the next available flight, but I couldn't accept a job and then turn around and leave because I just received (what I would consider to be) the offer of a lifetime.  My integrity is worth more than that, so I've waited an additional 24 years to go to a land I've wanted to visit since I was 9 years old, when I saw it from the window of an airplane from 39,000 feet.

Today's question is:  in what year was the (failed) Reykjavik Summit between President Reagan and Mikhael Gorbachev?

No comments: