Saturday, July 25, 2015

If This Is True...

When school's not in session I revert to what I consider my "natural" sleeping hours, 2 am-10 am.  If this is true, I must be a genius!
We’ve all heard Ben Franklin’s famous musing, “Early to bed, early to rise. Makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.” It may be true that the go-getters among us tend to get up early, but it’s also true that more intelligent people tend to stay up later. Believe it or not, this is actually a scientifically studied phenomenon...

A study from Satoshi Kanazawa, psychologist at The London School of Economics, shows that intelligence and night-owl tendencies are strongly correlated. In a survey, Kanazawa showed that those with an IQ of over 125 tended to go to bed around 12:30 a.m. and wake up around 8:00 a.m. on weekdays, and to go to bed around 1:45 a.m. and wake up around 11:00 a.m. on weekends.

Those of normal intelligence tended to sleep from 12:00 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. on weekdays and from 1:15 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. on weekends. Those of below normal intelligence tended to sleep from 11:45 p.m. to 7:20 a.m. on weekdays and from 12:35 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. on weekends. As you can see, that’s a pretty big difference.

1 comment:

Steve USMA '85 said...

Makes me concerned what I am. My average during the week is 10:30-5:30 and on the weekend 11:00-8:00.

Standardized testing back in the day says I am am pretty intelligent. Of course, my wife says it is all book-smarts, that I don't have a lick of common sense.