Thursday, August 07, 2014

Ships

It seems amazing to say, but this was the third cruise I've taken this calendar year!  Norwegian Sun is a mid-sized ship at 76,000 tons (for comparison, Titanic, clocked in at about 46,000 tons) and it was home for 7 days.  My cabin was on Deck 10, which apparently was far enough away from steerage that if the ship were to be abandoned, I'd get a genuine life boat and not just a raft!

We encountered other ships, either in ports or en route.  I'm an army guy through and through, but I must admit I do enjoy looking at and being on ships.  Here are some pictures:

 Norwegian Sun in Whittier, AK


 Norwegian Sun "marking time" in Icy Strait, just outside Hoonah, AK


 An Alaska Maritime Highway ferry, Carnival Miracle, and the Star Princess in Skagway, AK


 Star Princess arriving in Juneau


 Carnival Miracle coming out of Tracy Arm


 Docked in Skagway, AK


Disney Wonder docking in Vancouver, BC, at about 7 am


"Steaming" towards Hubbard Glacier


Celebrity Century (identified by a reader who was on that ship!), Norwegian Sun, and Holland America's Oosterdam in Juneau, AK

No comments: