Saturday, July 19, 2014

Last Full Day

Today is my son's last full day of freedom for a very long time.

Tomorrow his mother and I will take him to lunch and then take him to a hotel, where he and a bunch of other recruits will finish up paperwork and other routine tasks.  He'll be free again some time on Monday evening, when any friend and family member who wants to (or can make it on short notice) will meet up for dinner.

At zero-dark-thirty on Tuesday they board a plane and off they go for basic training.  I'm proud and nervous at the same time.

I realize that if I've done my job right, he'll be able to handle this.  On the other hand, this will be the first time ever where I'll be powerless to intervene to protect my son if he needs it.  Yes, I realize my apprehensions are more about me than they are about him, but that doesn't make me feel any more secure!

Update:  Everything's been pushed back a day now.   We're not sure if this is a change or if the NCO we spoke to the other day was incorrect.  Either way, he has one more day :)

1 comment:

Mike Thiac said...

He will handle it because you have done what a dad has to do. Now, let him go out....he has the watch!