Monday, July 07, 2014

Knowing Worthless Knowledge

When I was in high school, the Journey song Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin' was popular.  I wondered how many "na's" were at the end of the song, thinking that some day that useless piece of knowledge would come in handy.  A decade or more later I was driving along I-880 through Oakland on my way to go camping at Dillon Beach and the DJ on the radio asked a trivia question, for which I don't remember the prize:  how many na's at the end of Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'?  It was the early 90s and I was a dozen years or so from owning a cell phone, but if I could have gotten to a pay phone I'd definitely have been the first to answer that question--there are 154 na's, 7 groups of 22 each.

Also when I was in high school, my mother took a trip to Hawaii.  She brought me back a very cool t-shirt with a Hawaiian fish on it.  The Hawaiian state fish.

About 45 minutes ago I was at a "show" put on by the recreation staff here at the timeshares at which we're staying.  The last raffle prize was a ticket to a local comedy show, and after several attempts were made and people weren't present to win, the hosts decided to ask a trivia question.  The question:  what is Hawaii's state fish?  My hand shot up first, I answered the question correctly, and now I have a ticket to a comedy show.

Hawaii's state fish is the humuhumunukunukuapua'a which, if I remember correctly, means fish with a snout like a pig :-)

7 comments:

PeggyU said...

Is it an edible fish?

maxutils said...

The Hawaiians have a problem with their vowel movements ...

allen (in Michigan) said...

But they make up for it with their consonantal fortitude.

Auntie Ann said...

I was listening to a shuffle of my music and got S&G's "The Boxer" (lie lie lie, lie lie lie lie....) and Talking Head's "The Book I Read", which has 148 "na na na..."s in it.

I thought about making a "lie lie lie" playlist. It would have to have "Hey Jude" which has over 200 "na na na"s in it.

maxutils said...

Allen ... I did LOL.

maxutils said...

Try counting the number of times Robert Plant sings babe or baby in "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" off Zeppelin 1 ...

maxutils said...

Auntie Ann ... could your "lie lie lie" list include Obama's speeches?