Sunday, July 20, 2014

"Here Men From Planet Earth..."

I remember, as a very young child, being awakened oh so early to watch "the rockets".  A decade or more later I'd get myself up at ungodly hours to watch the space shuttles take off.

But Apollo 11 was the biggie.  I sometimes wish I was older so that I could truly have experienced what it was like for mankind when Eagle touched down in the Sea of Tranquility.  It must have seemed like the end of an era, or perhaps the beginning of a new one.  Sadly, it turned out to be neither.  But that doesn't take away from what those three astronauts did on today's date in 1969.

Congratulations to Neil, Michael, and Buzz.

2 comments:

PeggyU said...

I was 10. I remember being mesmerized. What a great thing to follow during summer vacation!

Ellen K said...

I remember staying up all night with my parents watching the NASA systems at work.