Last month, the American Statistical Association warned against used VAMS, saying that “recent studies have found that teachers account for a maximum of about 14 percent of a student’s test score.”I'd be curious about what makes up the other 86% of students' test scores, and what the proportions for each of those components are.
“We need to slow down or ease off completely for the stakes for teachers, at least in the first few years, so we can get a sense of what do these things measure, what does it mean,” said Morgan S. Polikoff, a USC assistant professor of education and co-author of the study. “We’re moving these systems forward way ahead of the science in terms of the quality of the measures.”
Wednesday, May 14, 2014
In principle I'm in favor of evaluating teachers based on "value-added" parameters, but not if the American Statistical Assn is correct: