Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Steady March of Progress

5 months ago I was in fairly good shape, anticipating lots of skiing over Spring Break--certainly a novelty here in California.

4 months ago I was an invalid.

3 months ago I could get around a little bit, but my leg was still in an immobilizer and unable to bend at all. Any movement required crutches or a wheelchair.

2 months ago the immobilizer was off but I couldn't bend the leg much at all. Locomotion still required crutches or a wheelchair.

1 month ago I'd been allowed back into the gym. A small amount of flexibility had returned to the injured leg, and moving anything more than the shortest of distances required a cane. Could not walk down ramps or up or down stairs.

Today I walk with a small limp, no cane required. Physical therapy is done; I work out my injured leg on the leg press at the gym. Flexibility is not a problem, strength (and internal scar tissue) are. I can walk down gentle ramps (like my driveway) and up short flights of stairs.

Still to go: kneeling, walking down stairs, running, and kicking butt.


MikeAT said...

The one mile will be no problem

KauaiMark said...

"...kicking butt"

Just use the other foot!

DADvocate said...

Perseverance. Keep it up and good luck.