Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Steady March of Progress

5 months ago I was in fairly good shape, anticipating lots of skiing over Spring Break--certainly a novelty here in California.

4 months ago I was an invalid.

3 months ago I could get around a little bit, but my leg was still in an immobilizer and unable to bend at all. Any movement required crutches or a wheelchair.

2 months ago the immobilizer was off but I couldn't bend the leg much at all. Locomotion still required crutches or a wheelchair.

1 month ago I'd been allowed back into the gym. A small amount of flexibility had returned to the injured leg, and moving anything more than the shortest of distances required a cane. Could not walk down ramps or up or down stairs.

Today I walk with a small limp, no cane required. Physical therapy is done; I work out my injured leg on the leg press at the gym. Flexibility is not a problem, strength (and internal scar tissue) are. I can walk down gentle ramps (like my driveway) and up short flights of stairs.

Still to go: kneeling, walking down stairs, running, and kicking butt.

3 comments:

Mike Thiac said...

The one mile will be no problem

KauaiMark said...

"...kicking butt"

Just use the other foot!

DADvocate said...

Perseverance. Keep it up and good luck.