Monday, August 29, 2011

If It Sounds Too Good To Be True, It Probably Is

Today I needed to look something up regarding my employment contract, and since that contract is kept on the web site of my local union, that's where I went to get it. Imagine my bouyed heart when I saw a link on that site to the Teachers Union Reform Network. Wow, teachers unions who see the need for reform!

I'm so naive. I thought they wanted to reform teachers unions. I thought that perhaps some were seeing that unions, as currently configured, aren't "the future", and were going to try to make them better, relevant, and/or useful. Let me repeat: I am so naive. This is on their home page:
Promoting progressive teacher unionism.

Building relationships at the grassroots level among teacher union leaders with key community leaders and allies.

Cultivating the next generation of progressive teacher leaders to influence education policymaking.
In other words, they're progressively promoting progressivism in progressive ways, via progressive teachers unions.

*sigh*

No comments: