Sunday, September 19, 2010

I Heart Boobies

Have you seen these bracelets on kids at school, especially the boys? I certainly have.

Here's how I see it:
1. Most of the boys aren't wearing them for breast cancer awareness.
2. That makes them subject to sexual harassment claims.
3. "Boobies" isn't a word we should be using openly at school. If it's not appropriate for me to use the word in class, it's not appropriate to use anywhere at school.
4. Most boys wearing them are just trying to see what they can get away with, maybe even see if they can get a rise out of someone. And that's why I just ignore them, recognizing that wearing such bracelets is a sign of immaturity.

Read more here. At least the last student quoted in that article is honest.

7 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

I've seen these and ignored them as well. My older son tells me that there are shirts with "I (heart) HOT MOMS" on them that pop up at school sometimes. (Eew.)

Anonymous said...

I guess the next cancer awareness slogan will be "I "Heart" Balls".

George

Darren said...

I was thinking the same thing--and it would be just as inappropriate at school.

Mike Thiac said...

Something similar Darren...you have problems with young men wearing pants loose to show their underwear?

Ellen K said...

Our school banned it, although I have seen a few. I knew when they came out that it would cause problems. At least their hearts in the right place?

Darren said...

I doubt that very many 16-yr-old boys are genuinely concerned about breast cancer unless their lives have been touched by it.

Then again 16-yr-old boys *should* be somewhat immature, I'm ok with that. The 3rd point in my post is really my concern with those bracelets at school.

Anonymous said...

When I notice one, I fire up Zangle and send an email inquiry to the child's mother. Or father. Best to embarrass the parents, since the child's behavior is a reflection of their upbringing.

I'm all for cancer awareness, but
1. it's tough to defend the position that Americans lack awareness of a condition that has its own postage stamp.
2. The proclamation "I heart boobies" does nothing to evoke awareness of breast cancer, especially among high school children.