Saturday, September 25, 2010

College Students Outside The Comfort Zone

From CNN:

With programs from Rome to Rabat, colleges in the United States promote studying abroad as a way to grow and learn outside of the American comfort zone.

An increasing number of globetrotting students are taking full advantage of the opportunity by trading the European experience for one they consider more challenging and exotic.

"After college, I'll go to Europe, but I'm not sure I would ever have the chance to live in a developing country," said Jessie Lavintman, a University of Wisconsin-Madison student who became familiar with bucket showers and malaria when she studied in Ghana.


Oh, to be young and have no responsibilities and be able to zip around the planet....I had the opportunity and the means (when I was in the army) but squandered it. I'm glad there are some who have not.

No comments: