Thursday, June 17, 2010

We Are Everywhere

Before leaving on this trip, I put out a call on my West Point email list for anyone in the DC area who might be able to meet up for lunch. I ended up having my President Obama Burger with a member of the Class of '86.

The last speaker at our conference today is currently the superintendent of a Colorado Springs school district. Class of '78.

After the conference I got on the Metro and headed for Reagan National Airport. Just a couple seats away, facing me, was the wife of my sophomore year roommate and best friend, and two of her daughters--one of whom reports for her plebe summer at West Point in less than two weeks. Class of '14.

While chatting with my friend's family (my friend is in Denver right now, and I have a 60 minute layover in Denver) another cadet, who's interning this summer at the Pentagon, boarded the Metro. He looked resplendent in his uniform complete with Commandant's List wreath, Dean's List star, Recondo Badge, and Air Assault badge. (I remember being that young, thin, and good-looking!) Class of '12.

We West Pointers are everywhere.

2 comments:

Steve USMA '85 said...

Yes, we are everywhere. Salt of the earth if you will. ;^)

Next time you are in DC, I better be one of the ones you mention having lunch with!

Mike Thiac said...

I remember you being young and thin..... :<)