Thursday, February 19, 2009

Kids and Coins

I've received permission from the editor to post this article in full--because I like the subject matter.

Even kids know that money doesn’t grow on trees, but a lucky few who are students at the John Quincy Adams Middle School in Metairie, La., received some free money in the form of over 1,000 encapsulated John Quincy Adams Presidential dollar coins Jan. 20.

They were a gift presented by coin dealer Paul Hollis of Mandeville, La., to honor the school’s principal, Dr. Cheryl Milam.

Hollis attended the suburban New Orleans school two decades ago.

“One of my greatest educational experiences was the gifted and talented program at Adams, and I have always wanted to do something to express my gratitude,” Hollis said.

The mixture of proof and high-grade Mint State coins was encapsulated by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation. The coins were distributed with certificates explaining their historical significance and also congratulating Dr. Milam, who was named “2008 Principal of the Year” by the Louisiana Department of Education.

The certificates were printed by Crane & Co., the firm that produces paper for the nation’s paper money.

“Dr. Milam was an amazing teacher when I attended Adams from 1984 to 1986,” said Hollis.

“She helped encourage and foster my creativity and taught me so much. She even helped me start my first business, opening a salad bar at the school during my lunch break. I catered to the faculty, and it was a great experience for me.”

Nearly 1,050 encapsulated Adams dollars were distributed to students at a brief, special school assembly.

“Handing out all the coins was a real thrill for me, and I think the students really loved them,” said Hollis.

He gave Dr. Milam a proof Adams dollar graded NGC PF-69 Ultra Cameo and housed in a wooden box with a gold-colored metal label engraved, “Congratulations Louisiana’s Principal of the Year – Dr. Cheryl Milam.”

No comments: