Friday, January 09, 2009

Interviewing

I haven't posted much about my own situation, but for about a year now I haven't been happy where I teach. In the last couple months the unhappy curve has been getting steeper and steeper.

This afternoon I interviewed for a position at another school in our district. The new semester starts in 10 days, and that's when I'd start if I get the job. I'm not an underhanded kind of person, so my principal is well aware that I've been "looking".

Whether or not I get the job, my own outlook and demeanor have improved markedly. Instead of playing the victim, feeling "woe is me", I've taken some action and now feel like I have a little bit of control over my situation. If I don't get this position, I know that others will come along.

Here's to hoping that things continue to look up!

7 comments:

Mike said...

Good luck! Hope it works out.

Anonymous said...

With the full support (and even active assistance) of my former principal, I sought out a position at a different school in my district last spring for similar reasons, and started on my new campus this fall. It has been the best thing to happen to me professionally since I escaped the English Department for Social Studies (my true academic calling) earlier in my career.

Let's be honest - such changes can reinvigorate one professionally. I therefore wish you success in getting the new position.

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

GL to ya!

Unknown said...

Crossing the fingers ...

Ellen K said...

I have to admit, the one thing that scares me is having to change schools. I am finally getting to call the shots on a limited basis, and the thought of starting over at the bottom of the pecking order doesn't appeal to me. Yet, I know teachers who change schools every three years. They seem happy to do their job and not get embroiled in the politics of wherever they are. I know that our science department will be decimated next year due to some poor decisions on the part of the district coordinators. I keep telling you Darren, Texas needs math teachers. No income taxes, more football than any male can handle, but also some of the most dramatic and historic scenery in the world. You wouldn't be the first one to put "Gone To Texas" on their door. The Dallas paper ran a story just today that Cali has more people leaving the state than coming there.

Anonymous said...

Late to read this, but I hope you got the job. :)

Darren said...

I did not, but that's ok. Something else will come along.