Monday, June 02, 2008

Tammy Bruce Filled In For Laura Ingraham Today

Usually I listen to a local talk radio show on my way to work, but as this morning's discussion didn't interest me at all, I turned over to Laura Ingraham's show. Sitting in for Laura Ingraham this morning was Tammy Bruce.

I'll pause for a moment and point out that I'm quick to lambaste liberals when they exceed any reasonable standard of decency by wishing harm on those whom they disagree with--Ted Rall and Keith Olbermann come immediately to mind. Voicing hopes that Dick Cheney has a heart attack, or that the President would just get shot, or that Reagan went to Hell--these are expressions so beneath contempt that one wonders how they could be tolerated in any company. Yet, they occur with frequency--not just on liberal blogs like Kos, Firedoglake, MyDD, and Democratic Underground, but in mainstream press and commentary (e.g., Rall and Olbermann). So much for tolerance and decency, I always say, and rightly so. And you should note that I practice what I preach in this regard (see the 1st paragraph here).

So when I heard Tammy Bruce talk this morning about Kennedy's impending brain tumor surgery, I was shocked, disgusted, and saddened. Generally I find that conservatives will at least say the right thing in such situations, if for no other reason than to be polite, civil, and decent, but what Tammy said today was what I'd expect of liberals talking about conservatives, and I've already pointed out how foul that is.

Oh, she was trying to sound nice, but she came across as an insincere you-know-what. I can't find a transcript of it, so I'll paraphrase as best I can. If anyone can find a transcript, please send me a link pronto. The segment in question was between 10 and 10:30 am EDT today. In the meantime, here's my paraphrase:

I'm not going to lose any sleep over it (Kennedy's surgery). I mean, I don't wish him any harm, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. There's a young woman from the 60's who'd have loved half the concern and medical attention Kennedy's getting.

That's just mean-spirited and unnecessary. If you're Joe Sixpack Blogger and say something like that, I'm not going to worry about it too much. But if you're a big voice in the conservative movement, or a talk show host that's filling in for a nationally syndicated conservative talk show host, you'd darn sure better not bring disgrace upon the rest of us conservatives.

And Tammy, disgrace is exactly what you brought us today. Shame on you. I expect more decency from a fellow conservative.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard that same show and assumed that the "...young woman from the 60's" was Mary Joe Kopechne. Kennedy left her to drown after driving his car off a bridge near Chappaquiddick MA. He then used Kennedy money and influence to avoid prosecution. I won't be losing any sleep over his present medical problems, either.

Ellen K said...

I have the same problem, which is why I seldom listen to Michael Savage, although my husband loves him. I guess in terms of national shows, I really like Glenn Beck's the best. I think when people start wishing death on others, they aren't quite human any more. Heck, when it comes down to it, I don't actually wish death on Osama-i just want him to go away.

Darren said...

I know exactly whom she was talking about. It's still mean-spirited.

Anonymous said...

Kennedy pled guilty to leaving the scene of an accident which carried a mandatory twenty-day incarceration which the judge suspended.

Here's a web site, for which I can't vouch but doesn't come across to bug-eyed, that purports to have a bunch of the particulars.

According to the site Kennedy's driving history, which wasn't exemplary, wasn't mentioned. That oversight probably kept Kennedy from having to serve his twenty days.

http://www.ytedk.com/epilogue.htm#6

Law and Order Teacher said...

I guess your point was lost on some. I agree with you. We need to be above Kos, FDL, and the rest of their ilk. What will happen to TK is not in our hands.

W.R. Chandler said...

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one.

In her monologue as you paraphrased it, I didn't see Ms. Bruce wishing death or harm upon the good senator. While I also do not wish likewise, I freely admit that if Kenney loses his battle with cancer, I won't exactly be wringing my hands in sorrow over his demise either. I will feel bad for his family, but that is about it.

I can scarcely hear Ted Kennedy's name without thinking of the presumably torturous and struggling demise of Mary Jo Kopechne. Ted Kennedy left her in the car to die while he stood there on the road trying to figure out how to save his political career. I just can't strum up any sympathy now over his current medical condition.

I think there is quite a difference between expressing your indifference about someone's tragedy and expressing your hope that it happens.

gbradley said...

I agree completely.
Tammy is entertaining to listen to and it is interesting that she has come back from the Dark side.
Those comments about Ted Kennedy are in poor taste and should not reflect the feelings of most conservatives.
Ann Coulter sometimes opens her mouth and spews stuff that makes you want to cringe too.

DADvocate said...

I don't have much sympathy for Kennedy either but I think one should refrain from cold, harsh words regarding his ill health. God will sort us out in the end and only he sees straight into our hearts.

Rhandi Rhodes was the (at least one of the) liberal radio talk show host who wished GWB shot.

I listen to Michael Savage a little. On the day of the news regarding Kennedy, Savage wished Kennedy good health and said no one should take pleasure in Kennedy's suffering. If you look past Savage's craziness, he has a good heart. I love his stories of growing up in New York.

Fritz J. said...

I totally agree Darren. While I much dislike Sen. Kennedy's policies and think he got away with little punishment for Chappaquiddick owing to his family's money and influence, I would never wish ill health or death on anyone. A couple of close friends of mine have died from brain cancer and it isn't a nice way to go. I would love so see Sen Kennedy retire and someone more sensible take his place, but not like this. It is one thing to think poorly of a person, but quite another to wish him ill health. Those who are willing to slip over the line to the point of hating are allowing hatred to rule them, and as James Baldwin said, "Hatred, which could destroy so much,
never failed to destroy the man who hated, and this was an immutable law."

Unknown said...

Glenn Beck - "Hang on, let me just tell you what I'm thinking. I'm thinking about killing Michael Moore, and I'm wondering if I could kill him myself, or if I would need to hire somebody to do it. No, I think I could." If Glenn Beck is the best you have I feel sorry for the Conservative movement.

Darren said...

Wow. I take a conservative to task for merely hinting that she'd like Kennedy to die, and instead of agreeing with me about civility, Ronnie decides to find one other conservative who one time openly wished harm on someone else. Amazing. Your liberal credentials grow even stronger, Ron.

Oh, and if Michael Moore--he of the Iraq insurgents=New England Minutemen fame--is the best of the liberal movement, I'll take Glenn Beck any day, and I have never once listened to him.

Unknown said...

I was just responding to Ellen K's response, since I view Glenn Beck as one of your worst not best. He has his fair share of rude comments, but even worse more than his fair share of just making up things for a story. I just hate to see the praise of people who don't deserve it and I have never seen anything to praise Glenn Beck for yet. When I think of a good political pundit I think of George Will or someone else with the ability to accurately articulate thoughts and I just wish people would stop reading and watching the popular hacks on both sides and stick with people who think about what they speak.

Darren said...

OK, I missed that--Ellen's comment was several ago.

Ann aka ButDoctorIHatePink said...

I'd just stick to Armstrong and Getty in the future. :)