Saturday, August 11, 2007

The Nevada Trip, Part 2--Las Vegas

My dad met up with us in Las Vegas for two of our three days there, and took this picture. Of all the times I've been to Las Vegas, I'd never before been to this sign. Now I have.


One place we went was the Shark Reef at Mandalay Bay. The aquarium was mucho coolisimo, but the "touch tank" was pretty nifty as well.


Yes, we went to Star Trek The Experience and did the Borg attraction twice and the Klingon attraction once. And yes, I bought stuff I didn't need at the Promenade Shops, and yes, we had a drink at Quark's Bar. And yes, I got a picture of my son with an Andorian. But no, we're not geeks or anything--a Star Trek Convention is taking place there as I type this, and we obviously aren't there, are we?!!


I've stayed at the Stratosphere several times. Because it's at the far north end of The Strip it's inexpensive when compared to other hotels. Didn't stay there this time, though.


With my dad we stayed at the Riviera. After he left, Luxor! Here's the view from our 1oth floor room. I made sure to get a room in the Pyramid so we could ride the Inclinators (elevators that move up the inside of the pyramid at an angle). Also, on the right edge you can see that the window is sloped inward because all rooms are on the outer edge of the inside of the pyramid.


Night shots of Luxor.





Here's a view of The Strip from atop the Stratosphere Tower. There's so much building going on--half the world's cranes must be in this city. Pretty soon there won't be any views; you'll look out your hotel (or condo) window and see another huge tower right next door.

There were so many changes in the three years since I've been there--condo towers were built or being built; there were additions at Bellagio, Mandalay Bay, Rio, and The Palms; Stardust and the Westward Ho were gone, and the Frontier was closed, all to make way for Echelon; the Wet N Wild water park was gone, with construction occurring at the site; the Holiday Inn/Boardwalk was gone to make way for some glass condo monstrosities; Wynn Las Vegas was finished, and work on the Encore tower was well along; the Palazzo was replacing the Sands; Planet Hollywood had taken over and was modifying the Alladin; and Trump had built a tower. I guess changes aren't permanent, but change is.

After Las Vegas we visited some friends of mine near Valencia, CA, and made the long drive home up I-5 yesterday.

I go back to work in 4 days. Ugh.

No comments: